Travel Photography – Vacation in Sinai with ‘The Best Camera’

Travel photography and the search for the best camera to take along on vacation continues. I have been struggling with this issue for years as the idea of going on vacation with my big set of cameras and lenses started being a little too much to handle. Why would I want to have the responsibility of carrying and caring for this expensive heavy set when I want to take some time off work and relax?

I have just come back from a ten-days vacation at Ras-el-Shaitan (view on Google Map) on the red sea in Sinai and have taken my iPhone as the main camera for the first time. there are a few reasons why I decided to do this, one of which is an amazing new application called ‘The Best Camera’ that allows you to creatively edit and share your iPhone images more simply than ever before. I started playing with it a few weeks ago and loved the results. Along with Photoshop app for iPhone I can now get some really cool results from the phone’s camera.

The other reason is that I am a bit exhausted from the perfect image and results of the pro cameras. Digital photography had become so advanced that there is almost no chance of making any mistakes anymore. The iPhone camera, being imperfect and slow at times, enabled me to have to play with the uncertain again. It is difficult to see the screen from an angle, especially when shooting in mid-day light, and the shutter is not as fast so one has to plan well before pressing the ‘click’ button or miss the moment.

On screen, after editing, the images look fantastic and I was very happy. When downloading to the laptop after coming home, there was a bit of disappointment. The image size is not enough for printing although still OK for internet purposes. Being used to the full frame D-700, the images of the iPhone have a lot of noise. I must say that I am still using the iPhone 3G and it is possible that the camera on the new model is far better.

The plus side is that no one suspects you are a photographer and so it is sometimes easier to get close to people and have a good picture without taking too much attention. I can’t wait to have an iPhone with a really high resolution camera that will enable me to actually work like this.

So here it is. For more images go to my facebook gallery or my Flickr page

Moonrise at Ras el Sheitan, Sinai, EgyptMoonrise over Ras el Shaitan on the day we arrived. I played with the image color saturation but the vignette creates a circle in the center of the image that almost looks like the sun. I love the colors but the circle is too strong for me.

Travel Photography - Ras el Sheitan, Sinai, Egypt

Travel Photography - Ras el Sheitan, Sinai, EgyptTravel Photography - Vacation in Sinai with 'The Best Camera' Travel Photography - Vacation in Sinai Travel Photography - Ras el Sheitan, Sinai Travel Photography - Ras el Sheitan, Sinai Travel Photography - Ras el Sheitan, Sinai Travel Photography - Ras el Sheitan, Sinai Travel Photography - Ras el Sheitan, Sinai Travel Photography - Ras el Sheitan, Sinai Travel Photography - fishermen at Ras el Sheitan, Sinai Travel Photography - low tide at Ras el Sheitan, Sinai The low tide exposes the reef completely so people can walk over it looking for sea urchins and star fish.

Travel Photography - coral reef at Ras el Sheitan, Sinai I actually walked to the edge of the reef during low tide and took this picture standing over the corals and the blue sea. The water is so clear that you don’t even need to dive in order to see the fish. Simply and amazing experience.

Travel Photography - Ras el Sheitan, Sinai My daughter held this inflatable chair against as she was going into the water and I shot directly into the sun using the plastic chair as a filter, hence the dark underexposed colours.

Travel Photography - snorkling at Ras el Sheitan, Sinai Travel Photography - Ras el Sheitan, Sinai Travel Photography - sunset at Ras el Sheitan, Sinai Travel Photography - colourful sunset at Ras el Sheitan, Sinai These are the real colours, believe it or not!

27 Responses to “Travel Photography – Vacation in Sinai with ‘The Best Camera’”

1. mattbeaty says:

Just goes to show – it doesn’t matter what gear you’ve got! It’s the photographer that matters!
    Great images – I especially like the inflatable chair and the reef.

2. mattbeaty says:

Great images – I especially like the inflatable chair and the reef.

3. Great work – I’m actually working on a book with only pictures taken with my iPhone. The pictures I’ve put in the book so far have been run through Lightroom to reduce noise. I do like being able to snap shots inconspicuously – I’m getting shots that I’d never be able to with my D90.

4. Great work – I’m actually working on a book with only pictures taken with my iPhone. The pictures I’ve put in the book so far have been run through Lightroom to reduce noise. I do like being able to snap shots inconspicuously – I’m getting shots that I’d never be able to with my D90.

5. Madhur Mangal says:

so much we can do without going digital, really nice photographs
    I like the inflatable chair and the painted sky with yellow and blue

6. Madhur Mangal says:

so much we can do without going digital, really nice photographs
    I like the inflatable chair and the painted sky with yellow and blue

7. sephi says:

@Madhur: iPhone is still digital :-) but yes, there is a lot one can do with very little. cheers

8. sephi says:

9. Andrew Adams says:

Great pics Sephi!;
    I have been loving my iphone for snaps while out somewhere I don’t want to lug a big camera.
    I’ve started a whole new series of images taken on daily bike rides, etc.
    Can’t wait for the new iphone! Video calls, 5MB cam and flash!

10. Andrew Adams says:

Great pics Sephi!;
    I’ve started a whole new series of images taken on daily bike rides, etc.
    Can’t wait for the new iphone! Video calls, 5MB cam and flash!

11. Swarnabh says:

Absolutely wonderful!

12. Swarnabh says:

Absolutely wonderful!

13. Sarah says:

That inflatable chair one is amazing! And I totally agree with what mattbeaty said – it’s really cool to see what a skilled photographer can do with a perfunctory camera :)

14. Sarah says:

15. TC Geist says:

Excellent work! Every image is better than the next.

16. TC Geist says:

Excellent work! Every image is better than the next.

17. Patrick says:

Cool photos. Pure talent is what you have. You should check @dominiquejames on Twitter. His photos now are taken using the iPhone, as well.

18. Patrick says:

19. Bryan says:

Very nice…well done

20. Bryan says:

Very nice…well done

21. Rowena says:

Gorgeous! Makes me so home-sick for my beloved Sinai :-)
    So great to see Ras-as-Satan is still as shanti and beautiful as ever.

22. Rowena says:

Gorgeous! Makes me so home-sick for my beloved Sinai :-)
    So great to see Ras-as-Satan is still as shanti and beautiful as ever.

23. sm says:

hi,

have you tried the micro third cameras. I have the GF 1 and routinely prefer it for travel photgraphy over my D90. The iphone is awesome too..

24. Hi, I have an LX3 but it is not a micro cam. I like it but haven;t ‘worked’ with it much. I do enjoy having the option for a small camera on vacation rather than the big bodies. Just got a new iPhone yesterday so this should be fun. cheers

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [...] come through. It took more than a month and we actually didn’t really move much, except the trip to Sinai for a couple of wonderful weeks. Other than that, having the twins and all, it was not a very [...]

2. [...] using a few selected filters. Other photo apps I am using on my iPhone are: Chase Jarvis’s BestCamera and Photoshop for iPhone. I like mixing the filters of these apps so will often manipulate an image [...]

3. [...] more seriously for a little over a year now. The first time I used it exclusively was on a trip to Sinai in June 2010. I had the iPhone 3G at the time and I was blown away. I later upgraded to the 3Gs and [...]